Thursday, March 30, 2017

Awesome day in Art

I LOVE teaching art. If I had known this job existed, I may have went to college for that instead of accounting. I am completely thankful that the art teacher at my girls's school trusts me to do real art with the kids. Maybe after so many years of seeing what my kids can do has given him some faith in my abilities. I really wish I had taken a picture of the example that he sent with me from class to class.

I got to teach the same project to 5th, 4th, 2nd, and 1st grade today. It is really interesting to see how each age group does the same project.

Today's project was using their imagination and creating what they would like to imagine in outer space. They received a black piece of construction paper and had to do a pencil sketch. Then they got to color with Construction Paper Crayons. I don't think I knew they existed. They were super cool. The pictures looked like they glowed in the dark or they would be amazing under a black light.

Then when the kids mixed the colors together, it got even more fun. And their ideas were fantastic. The youngest were the most creative with their imaginations but not the best at following the coloring directions for following the rules of shading. The older kids did an amazing job detailing their pictures.

I was thinking today about how cool it would be to create a portfolio of the awesome art projects I get to teach to the kids. Which is why I took the time to type this little bit up. Some sense of accountability for the future.

Also ...the kids were AMAZING today. It was such a wonderful day that I didn't want it to end.