Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Stumped

I've been taking a course to get my substitute teacher certificate. Today's homework is to read a newspaper article and write a small lesson plan to go with it. This homework is in case the teacher didn't have time to prepare a lesson plan to leave for you.

Sounds simple enough doesn't it? I don't normally read a newspaper anymore. Haven't since we lived in Denver. But I found a small city newspaper in my mailbox today and read through it hoping.... I really don't want to talk about the teacher that may be coming back to work after being brought up on drug charges. I really don't want to talk about how they shouldn't have closed down that school and then remodel it. I don't want to write about the latest school board issues.

Ugh...I'm wondering if reading from a blog could be considered a newspaper. I read a great article from the History channel about the worst flood in history of the US. Today is it's 100th anniversary. I could do that. Read the kids the article. Then have them work on what we could do to be prepared for such a flood today. Living on the Wisconsin River makes it a good possibility someday.

Taking this course has been interesting so far. It's really helped me understand my kids better. It has also taught me that I am better prepared for teaching than I ever thought I was. Getting a little excited for the in-class assignment...not that I haven't been doing that for going on three years now.

This is my dilemma. What do you think?