Thursday, February 7, 2013

Take Your Thoughts Captive

Been thinking of this phrase alot lately. The audio that I've been listening to with the girls has been talking about the power of your thoughts. If you think you can do a thing, you will. If you think you can't, you won't.

Words of affirmation. My hubby has bounced back and forth on this idea for as long as I've known him. For a while he'll think that it's a great thing to reprogram your mind and silence the negative thoughts. Then he'll bounce to the thought that these things aren't always true and you may be lying to yourself instead of facing reality.

The Bible tells us to take captive our thoughts and not to be conformed by this world. That to me sounds like  a good reason to have your own set of words of affirmation. Memorizing Bible verses is also a good way to control your thoughts.

I got to thinking what I would use for words of affirmation. How would I like to think of myself? How would I like myself to be thought of? Who am I really?

Here's what came to me last night as I put pen to paper...

I am a writer. Even if it be only for me. My words matter, my words have power,and my words make a difference even if it be only for me.
I am an artist. I craft and I create. Everything I make has a story or a reason for being. It has been inspired from somewhere and is going to effect someone in a positive way.
I am a mom. It is not only to my own children but also to every child I reach. They all need to be taught, cared for, listened to, loved, appreciated, and shown a positive example. I am all of these things and more.
I am a wife. I am the best wife for my husband. I listen to his needs. I show him what he means to me. I encourage him and help where I see opportunity.
I am a daughter. I watch and learn and grow.
I am a friend. I listen. I care. I appreciate. I do what I can with what I have for the women in my life.
I am a Christian. I believe Jesus died on the cross for my sins. I believe that He rose from the dead so that I may have eternal life. I know that I am a sinner and that I cannot live a full life without Christ in me. I learn more every day about what being a Christian is and how God wants me to live my life.
I am a student. There is no reason to stop learning. I am constantly searching for new ideas and facts that will help me to become a more well rounded person. I will not grow stagnant and die. I will live my life learning through the end.
I am a woman. I have issues. I have emotions. I have baggage. I have a highly wired mind.
I am crazy and my kids love it.
I am so much more than words can say. God has placed me here, now, and inspired me to write all this, now, because I am meant for more.
I am blessed.

What are you? Where are your thoughts taking you?