Sunday, July 17, 2011

Fish Day

Many of you out there have never heard of such a day. Wondering what thought crosses your mind when you hear Fish Day.

Here in Port Washington, WI, it is the biggest happening of the year. It is the world's largest one day outdoor fish fry. They close down the entire downtown area for the entire day. They have shuttle buses running from the next town to save on parking hassles.

The morning starts with 2K/5K walk/run at 8am. Some of these stroller runners were amazing.

At 10am starts the parade. They had 10 different fire departments, at least 3 bands, 4 dance troops, plus classic cars and assorted other fun things to watch.






The entire downtown/marina area is shut down for band stages, beer tents, and food stands. The fish fry is the best I've ever had.

There is also a small carnival by the lake. On the bluff there is a craft show and a classic car show.

At 930pm starts the fireworks over Lake Michigan. Most years they are completely amazing. This year...I felt they could have done better.

It's a long hot day in the sun. You get to meet old friends, maybe make some new ones. There's good food, good fun, and a good assortment of entertainment.

If you are ever in Southeast Wisconsin, the third Saturday in July, stop on by and enjoy a wonderful day on the lake.

3 comments:

  1. I love this post. I love all of the pictures. It really felt like I was there. Now and then, a fish fry sure tastes good. I used to reward myself for my 50-60 mile bike rides in N. Michigan at one or two per summer :) I love when communities have events like that too. I miss being in a place that does that sort of thing. Thanks for sharing so we could experience it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. The town I live in now does something like it on a smaller scale come the end of August. It's a little less of a party and a little more of a Maxwell Street Day.

    More pics of Fish Day to come later this week. Loved taking random pics. Might need to run around town taking pics before I head back home today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like my kind of day. I love to experience unique festivals in different towns. And the fish looks delish. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete