Saturday, February 19, 2011

Under the Stars

Was just thinking about this great friend I have and how amazing it is that she is in my life. Also, how the weekend we became friends was a turning point in my life.
My husband and I had just gotten married. We got married on a Friday, packed all weekend, and moved from Wisconsin to Colorado on Monday. We were leaving all of our friends and family and our church to go and start a new adventure, just the two of us.
We had been there for about a month when my husband and I decided that it was time to find a church to call home. We started walking from our apartment and went to the first church we came to (not quite, but almost). Then the next month, my husband surprised me with a women's retreat weekend with the church. A little scary for me. Hardly new anybody and now I had to sleep in a room with them. What if I got stuck with someone boring or someone crazy? Well, I did get stuck with a crazy group of characters and they turned out to be some of the best friends I have ever had. They swallowed me up and found my strengths and encouraged me to step out of my comfort zone and use them. It was fantastic and uplifting.
The one night at the retreat, we pulled the mattresses off of the bed and pulled them out onto the balcony. Wrapped up in our sleeping bags and comforters, all snuggled together. This is something everyone needs to do. Sleep outside under the stars in the mountains. The stars were amazing! It was like looking at one of those pictures that change as you turn your head and trying to see it all at the same time. The depth and breadth of those stars was amazing. And then, that shooting star...
You never know what tomorrow will bring, unless you knock. You never know what you will find, unless you seek. You never know who will change your life, unless you ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment