Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Reason to Believe - book review

Reason to Believe by R.C. SproulThis book called to me from my bookshelf to be read next. I thought it would be a nice read. Small in stature, less than 200 pages, and a how-to on belief. For it's size, I think I took the most time to read this book. Not because it's boring or a difficult read but because it's meaty. I couldn't have read through this book fast if I wanted to get anything out of it. I couldn't even get through a chapter at a crack without missing something. I'd end up reading the same sentence over and over again if I tried going fast.

My hubby borrowed the book one day because he forgot his book at home. He asked me if the author was trying to make a case for God or against him. I really enjoyed that part. R C Sproul took ten of the main arguments against God and Christianity and dissected them. He would start each chapter out with the argument and what "they" base their argument on. Then he disproves all of the parts of the argument and shares the facts for believing.

It was amazing traveling through these thought processes. It encourages you to dig in and dissect the ideas that come across your path. Just because something has been told this way or thought of this way, doesn't mean that it is necessarily true. You may just be hanging out with the wrong group of thinkers.

As much as I enjoyed the book, I am glad to be done so that I can read something a little leaner with all of the other things going on in life right now.

If you know someone that has doubts of faith and is willing to read through the arguments, this is a good book for them.