Monday, January 7, 2013

Greek Myths

I remember in middle school studying the Greek Myths. I loved learning about them and all of the wonderful stories that branched off of all the gods. Thinking back on this and thinking of how my hubby has been scrutinizing everything to meet Christian standards, I was stumped. I went to a Catholic grade school and Greek Myths were a different "religion". So, I'm thinking that they should be good for my husband but he didn't like the movie Rise of the Guardians because of the folk tales and no portion of it was about Christ. I loved the movie. I love Greek Myths. So...when the girls and I went down to visit my dad and stepmom for Christmas, we listened to D'Aulaires' Book Of Greek Myths.

I fell in love with it from the very start. I tried getting all the words down of the introduction, but I know it's not perfect. Here is the portion that I fell in love with: "In olden times, when men still worshiped ugly idols, there was a group of shepherds and herders in Greece who cherished light and beauty. They did not worship the dark idols of their neighbors. They created beautiful and radiant gods that looked like people and acted like them too. Only they were taller and handsomer, and could do no wrong. they created monsters and beasts to stand for all that was dark and wicked for the gods to conquer. The mortals worshiped the gods and the gods honored mother earth."

I love how they bashed the worshiping of idols and how they created beings greater than themselves that lived up in the heavens. I'm reading Reason to Believe by RC Sproul and he goes into how everyone is born with an understanding of God but not everyone has learned of it. I believe that this connects to the Greek Myths. As we were listening on our drive there and back home (it's a 4cd set that is times at 4 hours and 13 minutes) we kept finding Bible stories hidden in the Myths.

There was a story like Noah's where the gods were unhappy with how the people were treating each other and they chose one family to build a boat and save themselves while gods flooded the rest of the world.

There was a correlation between Jesus and his disciples. Zeus sat on his throne with 12 other gods with him on Olympus.

The other fun part to this audio set is the readers. Paul Newman, Kathleen Turner, Sidney Poitier, and Matthew Broderick all take turns reading the Greek Myths. There is pan flute music between the stories.

It definitely kept us entertained during the long drive there and a portion of the drive back.

Then we started listening to The Wanderer by Sharon Creech. Another good listen.

Almost makes me wish that we had more places to drive. Also got me thinking that I might rent audio books instead of movies for the girls. Only problem is that I don't have them tied down at home.