Thursday, May 24, 2012

Tim DJT Karrels

As I prepare to say my final good-byes to a great friend, I am encouraged to share with all of you what an impact he made on everyone he met. I am at a loss of words but I am full of feeling about this loss. I definitely believe that he left us accomplishing his purpose in life...to show us all how to be the best friend anyone could want.

Tim Karrels was an amazing man. I met him back in high school (so almost 20 years ago now). As another friend put it, his "smile was infectious" and his "laugh was contagious". Tim had a way of making you feel like the most important person in the room when you were with him. He always had that sly smile, the twinkle in his eye, and a hug with a good word to share.

Tim led an amazing life. He worked hard and enjoyed everything he did. He started a DJ service and a dart and pool shop. He worked as a security guard and a hospital due to his EMT training. Besides being a DJ, I think his favorite job was being a firefighter. I remember how it dragged on him to not be able to go out on calls because his health wasn't allowing him to do the job.

My favorite memory of Tim was going wherever he was DJing because he always played the same song just for me.
He didn't approve in my choice of men back in the day. Tim knew that he was of a better caliber of men than the ones I kept choosing. He kept hoping that I would come to my senses. At least that's what I heard. I pray that Tim can look down on me now and see that I no longer have a Mr Ugly and that I am being well taken care of now.

Sunday night past Tim committed suicide (please don't comment your opinion on this fact unless you know the man personally) and a fire was started in his apartment. One news report shared that there were 50-75 officials responded to the fire call because they knew that Tim lived at that address. He touched so many lives in such a positive way. I keep popping over to his Facebook page this week to read all of the heartwrenching posts from those lives he has touched. I have also been really enjoying all of the videos and pictures that have been posted. I would like to share a few of my favorites with you.



I know he is sitting up in heaven...well, he's probably not sitting knowing Tim...he's up there mingling and getting to know everyone he come in contact with. I know he is enjoying his glorified body and not having anymore aches or pains or limitations anymore. Tim is feeling refreshed and renewed and longer being dragged down by all of the health issues from over the past year. I know he is up there, smiling that smile and looking down on all of us gathering together because of him. 

Miss you something terrible Tim. Thanks for showing us how to be the best friend anyone could have. Now I'm off to go practice this lesson and I hope all of you do too. Smile your best smile, give a hug, and say a good word. You never know who's life you may save because of these simple gestures.