Friday afternoon's session featured Henry Cloud and Shelia Walsh again. They also did an audience Q&A session. We chose a different row of seats to sit in after lunch. The cookies were the best part of lunch. We we were all amazed at the difference between the coffee line and the bathroom line. You could get through the bathroom line quicker than the coffee line.
The doorway in the back is the bathroom. The women in line are for the coffee and the line just keeps going.
- learned helplessness - nothing I do makes any difference
- - personalize the bummer things
- - pervasive the things take over your whole life
- - permanent is when you think it will be this way always
- you cannot see what the whole world has in store for you
- There is always a death before a resurrection - It's time to die to some things
- necessary endings
- - Jesus called them out of something in order to call them into where He wants them
- - we are hoarders - don't want to let go of the old to get the new
- Helping a friend who is a hoarder won't work.- She will think, what if she needs this/that, she will not be able to find it out there so she needs to keep it here; she needs to let go of it herself - she is stuck in a time that she can't let go of
- just a little step like a mustard seed
- Lots wife couldn't let go and turned into salt
- Ecclesiastes 3/Byrds - Turn Turn Turn
- Pruning - You need to prune the people and thoughts in your life like you have to prune your plants. You prune because plants produce more than they can sustain, when they get sick, and when they are dead and never coming back to life
- addictions are contagious
- He never calls us to go alone
- With your monkeys and a little faith...not saying this is easy, it might be a trip through the desert
- 2500 feet is the last minute anything good can happen (He shared a story about skydiving with his wife and I just loved that sentence out of it all.)
- meanwhile, back at the ranch
Universe - He told us that there are 4 corners of the universe and you get to choose where you reside.
1. Isolation - afraid to trust, need and let people in - soul death and despair - can't feed yourself
2. The Bad Connection - makes you feel bad - not good enough - back and forth between 1 and 2
3. Seductive - find a network that makes you feel good but does not fulfill you - lustful - gratification
4. Home - come home - real - just the way you are - with the monkeys that are crazy as you.
Q&A with Henry Cloud and Shelia Walsh:
- He is a coach to walk along side you
- at times doing things that make no sense to you; it's to respect authority
- your brain stops growing at 25
- "you need" is outlawed - you as a parent need that and you aren't having your needs met, your child has no need for that at all. It is better to teach cause and effect or to transfer the need to the child
- you need to go get some monkeys
- I don't have to carry stuff anymore
- fair does not live here but Jesus does
- forgiveness is a place of freedom in Jesus
- you have a broken people picker
- People today are in a rush to be OK and angry is more comfortable than grief. Anger is the protest of God and He uses it in a way that we don't see.
- your grief should not be done alone, which is why God placed tears where people can see them and help
- we know at some core knowledge that life was never supposed to be this way
- canals of chemicals in the brain tell you how to feel
- live a life so compelling that others want to do what you are doing
- give prayer with Thanksgiving that God already has it in His hands
- John 14:2727 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
- peace - total well being because God's presence is with His people
- the peace offered us is change inside us not out
- it is not the absence of trouble it's the presence of Christ
- Romans 12:1 1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.
- stand firm as a daughter of a King
- Mark 4: 35-41 boat in the storm - they are not afraid until the Lord speaks to the storm
- Where peace is offered doesn't mean that everything is OK
- **Psalm 143:8 8 Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love,
for I have put my trust in you.
Show me the way I should go,
for to you I entrust my life.
- Book - Heaven Is For Real - She was asked to read it by a close friend of hers and do a blurb for the back of the book. This book moved her and she was honored later on to meet this amazing boy.
- That Jesus has walked us all the way home