Thursday, October 13, 2011

Peanut Pumpkin

Went to the Farmer's Market this past week with about 40 kindergarteners and their teachers (and a few extra helpers). Had such a great time with all of the kids and watching them notice all of the different produce available.

We spied an odd looking pumpkin and was told how delicious and easy it was to cook it up.


It's not a very pretty pumpkin. It's got all of these brown crusties on the outside of the skin that look like peanut shells. The farmer explained to us that as the pumpkin grows, the sugars from the inside of the pumpkin leak out through the skin and then bake in the sun.

That caught my attention. Sugar! Coming from a vegetable! Might be able to get Amber to try some because she heard the farmer say "sugar". Asked the farmer how to cook it and we bought one for $1 and took it home for dinner.

Cut the pumpkin up into bite sized pieces.

Watch the sugar leaking out. Feel the texture.



Toss it all in a pan on the stove with some butter and brown sugar. Stir occasionally until soft. Then serve.

It was so yummy. It had this fantastic texture that was kind of thick and still smooth. It was comparable in taste to an Acorn Squash. I actually enjoyed this better than the acorn squashes I have baked. Would definitely buy one of these again to cook up. 

The hubby suggested adding it to meatloaf. So you may be seeing this pumpkin again (I have three quart bags in the freezer of the remaining pumpkin).

1 comment:

  1. I've seen these at the farmers markets here in the Binghamton, NY area. Now I know what they are. I'm not fond of pumpkin but I like acorn squash. Maybe I'll try one. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete